X-ray showed fracture in sacrum. Unable to sit straight and lie down. What to do?

I am 24 years of age and weight 52 kgs and 5'4" height. I recently slipped from d stairs and after xray got to know that I hve fractured my sacrum bone (s3/s4). I'm unable to.sit straight and lie down straight and unable to walk. Please suggest me dos and donts for d situation. Also suggest me which fermentation should I do!
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well generally treatment depends upon the type of fracture you are having . At present therapy is limited to conservative management, including pain control, bed rest and physical therapy. Bed rest may be needed in the acute phase (up to 72 hours) and after that early mobilisation is suggested .The advantage of an early rehabilitation is the stimulant effect of weight-bearing and muscle tension on osteoblastic activity, which results in bone formation and avoiding of side effects of prolonged bed rest like osteoporosis etc. NSAIDS and other pain killers like acetaminophen are used for pain relief . Calcium and vitamin D supplementation are generally continued along .

Several medications which are used to treat osteoporosis have been shown to relieve pain after acute vertebral fractures like calcitonin . Newer options include Sacroplasty .

Generally in acute phases cold fomentation is suggested and afterwards hot fomentation is necessary for pain relief . Avoid any weight lifting for time being and try to lie straight on bed and walk straight , Avoid sitting for some time . If fracture are not severe they heal by their own and dont require surgical management .

Get in touch with an expert orthopaedician for proper management.

Hope it suffices .

Wish you good health .

Dr. Shruti