X-ray showed apical thickening on the lung. Is it curable?

Hi I have just had 2 X-rays. The second has come back with apical thickening on the lung.
Is this able to be cured.what can cause it and what can be done to fix it. Are there early stages and what if it's in a late stage?
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have a finding of apical thickening on chest xray.

2. You haven't mentioned any chest symptoms and hence seem to be asymptomatic.

3. Thickening is most of the times old healed lesion and thus denotes a sequelea of past respiratory infection.

4. If you are asymptomatic then no treatment is required. If symptoms are present then a pulmonary function test can be done and symptomatic treatment can be given accordingly.

5. In severe cases decortication is the surgical option.

6. It needs to be noted that most of the times thickening is irreversible. It is equivalent to formation of scar tissue due to old infection.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist