X-ray scan revealed soft nodule lesion in lung. CT scan revealed macrolobulated mass. Suggested surgery. Guide?

A recent X-ray scan presented a 3.4 soft nodule lesion in my right lung. I followed with a ct scan with contrast and the radiologist reported I have a macrolobulated mass. I went to see the respiratory physician immediately and was advised I need an urgent bronchoscopy and surgery. All this was yesterday 27/07/13. Does all these urgent follow-ups suggest I have malignant lung cancer? I have never smoked and am a healthy 40year mother of 3 young girls.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information into considerations.

Certainly the most concerning possibility is that the lesion found on the imaging studies might represent some type of lung tumor. At the same time it is impossible to determine this until a tissue sample is obtained. Depending on the exact location of this finding a biopsy may be performed. The biopsy might be performed by a surgeon or pulmonary specialist or by a skilled radiologist.

I understand that you have no history of smoking. There still are some types of lung cancers which may develop in the absence of previous exposure to inhaled smoke. Again we don't know at this time if this is some type of lung cancer or if this is something else related to a previous infection or some type of inflammatory process.

I agree that the process of moving forward should occur as soon as possible. It seems like your physicians are working towards trying to obtain adequate tissue for diagnosis. I would make sure to ask the doctor what the goal of Any plant procedures is at this time. The bronchoscopy may help the pulmonary specialist obtained samples of cells from your long and possibly biopsy the area.

Surgery is usually reserved until after a definitive diagnosis is obtained.

Thank you again for sending your question. I can appreciate that you're dealing with a very stressful situation. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga