X-ray report revealed Osteolysis noted in left third rib and advised further evaluation. Meaning?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
For the first time the comments on the x-ray states, "Osteolysis noted in left third rib and advised further evaluation" (It also states that lungs, pleura, heart and aorta are normal).

What does this mean to me? What should I do about this?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later

Osteolysis noted in rib could be suggestive of metastasis from renal cell carcinoma.
Bone lesions associated with renal cell carcinoma are typically osteolytic (i.e., they appear as less dense bone on plain radiographs).

I suggest you to consult your surgeon for detailed examination to reach the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: X-ray report revealed Osteolysis noted in left third rib and advised further evaluation. Meaning? 8 hours later

Thanks for your reply. I would like to further check with an oncologist on this topic. But from my ribs/bones perspective, I forgot to highlight one more thing to you.

In October 2012, my CT scan of chest (plain) stated the below:

- Minimal fibrotic stranding is noted in the right middle lobe.
- Subtle subpleural septal thickening is noted in the posterior basal segments of both lower lobes, persistent on prone images.
- Rest of the bilateral lungs parenchyma appear normal.
- The trachea and the mainstem bronchi are well seen on both sides and are normal in outlines.
- No significant mediastinal lymphadenopathy is noted.
- The cardiac size appears grossly normal.
- There is no pleural collection seen.
-Bony outgrowth is noted arising from the superolateral margine of anterior aspect of left 1st rib. It measures approx. 1.7 x 3.4 cm and appears continuous with the cortex and medulla of the rib. It indents the overlying pectoralis muscles.

- Visualized superior aspects of liver show no significant abnormality of noted. Post operative changes noted in left renal fossa with radiodense surgical clips. Tiny radiodense osteochondroma.
- Post operative changes in left renal fossa with radiodense surgical clips. Tiny radiodense gall bladder calculus is also noted.

-- End of Report --

My uro-oncologist advised me to ignore this report and not to worry about it. Hence, it skipped my mind while updating medical history. Need your advise in view of this.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

In your CT report bony outgrowth arising from 1st rib suggestive of osteochondroma. It is a benign outgrowth.So there is no need to worry about it.

Hope this will helps you.

Wishing you healthy life.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta