Wrist pain, toe pain, need to take EMG to confirm carpal tunnel, taking Prednisone and Ibuprofen. Using wrist braces

I went to the doctor today about my hands/wrist and big toe pain. The toe pain started three days ago, it felt like a nerve problem but it didn't get numb. The doctor thinks it is carpal tunnel symptoms but I need to take an EMG test first to confirm the results. The doctor thinks that I should go back to work immediately. I am having troubles driving, typing, and writing. It doubled the pain. Personally, I think the doctor is wrong but I wanted your opinion on this issue. I am currently taking medication called Prednisone 20MG Tablets Daily and Ibuprofen 800 mg just started today but I have been taking Naproxen for two weeks now and I still have the pain. I also been using wrist braces. I have been off from work about two weeks now. The doctor wouldn't give me a note to get time off because she thinks I should go back to work. Please help me out, Thank you!

PS: I am a data entry operator. I have to be fast and 8 hours job MON-FRI. I cannot slow down, because I am taking license plates since I work with the tollway.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for these symptoms.

Two possibilities need to be ruled out from your symptoms. These include:

1)     Gout: In gout, uric acid crystals deposits in the joints causing swelling, pain and tenderness. Big toe is commonly affected. Please consult an orthopedician and get your blood uric acid levels and an x-ray of the toe joints done.

2)     Rheumatoid arthritis: The specific tests for Rheumatoid arthritis are rheumatoid factor and anti-CCP antibodies

A lack of vitamin D3 can also cause severe bone pain, especially at the joints where the muscles connect to the bones. You should get your vitamin D levels checked and if decreased levels are found then you should get vitamin D supplements prescribed from your doctor.

You should consult an orthopedician and get these possibilities evaluated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.