Wrist pain, pain in fingers, injured wrist, wore wrist brace for a week

Hi. I fell a few weeks ago and hurt my wrist. I though it was sprained so I rested it and got a wrist brace and wore it for a week or so. It still hurts when I try to push my self up (bending it backwards and putting pressure on it) and when I bend it forwards. It hurts in the wrist and in the hand mostly up through my middle finger but also up through my ring and pinky fingers as well.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Persistent pain in the wrist even after one week of injury radiating to your fingers on movement is suggestive of either a fracture or a tendon injury.
This problem needs a medical attention and investigations like X-ray and CT scan are entailed. I encourage you to consult your orthopedician who can guide you through the tests after a thorough physical examination.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your wrist and hand muscles.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your wrist will be useful pain relieving measure.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.