Wrist pain, ganglion cyst, taken OTC medication

I have a ganglion cyst on both wrist. I type all day and the pain gets worse and worse. Over the counter meds do little and it doesn't always work. I don't have a physician so thought of urget care or er. The ungodly appears doesn't bother to much, but pain is awful. Please help. Need my job
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 22 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this Problem?
2.) Since how long are you doing typing work?
3.) Do you have similar swellings any where else on your body?
4.) Are they tender?

Your History suggests them to be Ganglion but the the other causes for the same have to be ruled out like,

1.) Neurifibroma
2.) Lipoma

Kindly get yourself examined by a Orthopedician so that he/she may examine you and rule out what exactly they are. Not to worry as Ganglions are noncancerous fluid filled lumps that develop along the tendons or joints of your wrists or hands. They usually don't require any treatment if they are symptoms less but sometimes they cause pressure over the surrounding nerves causing pain which calls for a surgical intervention.

Your Orthopedist will evaluate the swelling and if necessary suggest a procedure which usually involves removing the fluid from the cyst or surgically excising it so that the pressure is relieved and pain subsides. Until then no amount of analgesics you take will give you relief.

After the Procedure refrain from activities which aggravate the pain like Typing, Lifting heavy weights etc. Get adequate rest, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.