Wrenched shoulders, extremely sore knees, ankles, wrists, shoulders and having muscular pain. What to do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor.
Perhaps you can help.
5-6 months ago I wrenched both of my shoulders. Thought everything was fine. Then 2-3 weeks later I managed to shock myself pretty good with 220v. Since then something jointly or muscularly painful has been happening. Seems something on the left side of my body will be extremely sore knees, ankles, wrists, shoulders and presently my groin muscles. It will start feelin better then I will wake up the next morning the pain will have moved to the opposite ankle, wrist or whatever.
It all really hurts. Any ideas? What shall I do?

Thanks XXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need an Orthopedic surgeon consultation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that the symptoms due to eletrical shock will manifest immediately in the form of skin burns over the limbs (which is very common). Late effects (after 3-4 months, as in your case) are unlikely. Also, electrical shock more often affects the muscles, resulting in their damage (rhabdomyolysis). If this muscle damage is very severe, it may lead to renal (kidney) damage. So, inorder to assess the severity of muscle damage, one has to undergo CREATINE PHOSPHO KINASE (CPK) enzyme blood estimations. Elevated CPK levels indicates muscle injury.

I personally feel that your symptoms are no way related to the Electrical shock you have received 3-4 months back. I suspect, all your symptoms may to due to Inflammatory Polyarthralgia, for which the causes are many. A detailed clinical examination and appropriate Investigations are necessary to establish a possible diagnosis of your condition.

I suggest you to consult an Orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further