Wounded knee, MRI, partial linear tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. From injury?

I'm 34. Knee hit glove compartment in an accident and has not stopped hurting since. MRI says "small partial linear tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus." Orth says can't be from injury. Don't understand. Please help.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hi A Payne,

After an injury to your knee, your MRI is showing that there is a tear in the medial meniscus.
This is injury is the most probable cause of your pain in the knee as it has been seen that after meniscal injury there is a tendency of repeated collection of blood in the joint cavity called as haemarthrosis.It could also be that the meniscal tear alone is causing the pain you have.

This blood needs drainage if leaked and the meniscus needs a repair which can only be done by arthroscopy.

Consult another Orthopedician for second opinion and also discuss with him about my opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Wounded knee, MRI, partial linear tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. From injury? 29 minutes later
I don't understand why the Orthopedic thinks that the injury could not have been caused by the impact to the glove compartment. He says that this type of injury comes from twisting with body weight. I'm confused.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello Apayne.

Thanks for writing back.

An experienced Orthopedician can determine the cause (type of injury) of the tear by the nature of the tear and grade of the tear. It is not good for me to comment on his opinion.

In a car, when you are sitting, your knee cap faces the glove compartment and an injury is likely to produce a fractured patella followed by haemarthrosis. Since you have no such details he may be reluctant to believe.

Small partial tears looks like Grade 1 which can be managed conservatively with Ice compresses, Rest, knee cap and ample amount of pain killers. This is followed by gradual movements after 3 weeks. A follow up MRI may be required. Discuss with your Orthopedician.

Wish you an early recovery.