Wound in peri-anal area, on many medications, wants to do colostomy, skin grafting, biopsy normal. Treatment ?

General Surgeon
My granddaughter 21 yr old apparently has this and has had to drop out of college due to the severity of this condition.

She has been treated with multiple drugs with no results. She was referred to the plastics department at Oklahoma City University and they have declined to see her in consult and did not offer any suggestions. I have been a Certified Wound, Ostomy, and Continence nurse for 16 years and an RN for 48 years.I have taken care of patients with this in the peri-anal area that have had surgery with a temporary colostomy and skin graft with success. She has just about reached her limit as to how much more she can tolerate. She is very bright and as a freshman was in classes with seniors and doing very well in college. I have not actually seen the area, but I suspect I know how bad it is. She is willing to do what is necessary and knows that it will be extreme surgery, but she needs help. She has good insurance and the ability to pay what is not covered. She has been to 5 doctors and had a biopsy and no other condition was identified. Is there someone who specializes in this type of surgery?

I know surgery is not always the cure all, but apparently may need to be considered for her. Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

You have provided with good informaton about your grand daughter's health issue, but before making detailed comment & suggestion, I need to know the observations & examination findings of all the doctors and also biopsy report.

In my opinion, extensive surgery can be done if patients gets even some relief or improvement in quality of life.

There are good numbers of doctors who opt for extensive surgery or taking risk for it, if some positive result is expected.

But definite diagnosis and proper planning before extensive surgery is quite essential.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.