Wound from spider bite. Continuous seepage of clear fluid. Treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a spider bit that was diagnosed by a doctor in Jun. No medications were prescribed. I was told there was no red streaks extenting from the wound and that it could take 3 to 4 mounths for the wound to heal. Five months later it has not healed. The wound iis now 1 inch by 1 1/2 inches. It is surrounded by a deep red area exdenting up to 2 inchs.. The wound continues to seep a clear liquid. Should this be continued to be treated as a spider bit?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your wound needs aggressive treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Irrespective of the etiology (cause) of the wound (whether due to spider bite or any other insect sting), it needs a vigorous and aggressive approach to make the wound heal at the earliest possible.

Based on your medical history and your age, I suspect that you could be possibly having a low immune status that might be contributing to the non healing of the wound. Deep seated infection in the wound is another important cause for non-healing. The possibility of infection has to be established by biochemical (blood tests), histological and culture methods.

A non healing wound of 5 months duration (irrespective of the cause) is definitely considered as abnormal. Continuous seepage of clear fluid from the wound strongly suggests an UNDERLYING INFECTION, unless proved otherwise.
An xray of the involved area is necessary to look for any involvement of the underlying bones causing osteomyelitis. An MRI scan of the part will show up the status of the soft tissues in that area which includes muscles, tendons, ligaments etc.

A culture sensitivity report of the fluid from the wound is necessary to isolate any bacteria.

It is not advisable to stay for extended periods of time with an open wound as there is high possibility of spread of the infection to the adjacent structures.

I suggest you to consult a plastic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management which may include a possible Flap coverage of the wound after the infection is controlled.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further