Wound appeared after dog bite, warm to touch. Cleaned with betadine. Should I be worried?

I had a serious dog bite on my right wrist on Friday 5 October. I have been keeping the wound clean with Betadine and Silbecor ointment and have changed the dressings twice daily. I was also given antibiotics, which I am taking. However, the hand and wrist are very swollen today (Sunday) and there's a faint red line running up my arm towards the crook of my elbow. The area around the wound is red and warm to the touch. I just phoned my doctor and he says its nothing to worry about, that it will get better. Can it wait until tomorrow before I can seek other medical help?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
The dog bite inoculates dog saliva which can harbour poly-microbial flora and may also borne rabies virus if not immunized.
Just continue to do cleaning and antiseptic application twice a day and keep the bite wound open.
Take a booster dose of T-toxoid if you did not have one in last 5years.
Antibiotics are good but you did not mention the exact medicines so can't say of the appropriateness.
you should get a full active immunization as soon as possible if the status of immunization of dog is not known and keep a watch on it for 10days, whether it dies.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Wound appeared after dog bite, warm to touch. Cleaned with betadine. Should I be worried? 52 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor. The dog is mine - I found myself between her and another dog who she saw as a threat to her new babies, and I was the one to come off short. Fortunately the threat of rabies is not there.
I had an anti-tetanus shot and the antibiotics I'm on are Purbac 800mg and Betazol 400g twice daily. I have been cleaning the wound and dressing it twice a day, but I shall follow your advice and keep it open from tomorrow morning.
My main concern is potential Lymphangitis - perhaps I did too much internet research and frightened myself unecessarily! Fortunately, the red line has not moved since early this afternoon, but I'll monitor it. At what point should I press the panic button?
Thank you so much for your sound advice.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The antibiotic are okay, take a lots of oral liquids with them.
Keep the wound open but avoid contact with water and dust to the wound.
The the faint red lines are lymphangitis which is unavoidable in XXXXXXX bites but should not be a cause of worry unless you develop a fever.
Otherwise you have already managed the things well.
Wish you a great health!