Would the medicine Gamunex c helpful to patients with Gehrig's Disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
thanks ..
would the medicine gammunex c help someone that has been diagnosed as a slight lou gehrigs disease?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gamunex would not help XXXXXXX Gehrig's disease

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Gamunex (immunoglobulin) injections are not helpful in patients with XXXXXXX Gehrig's disease.
The only effective medicine in this condition is riluzole, which can improve the muscle strength. However, riluzole also can not stop the disease progression.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Would the medicine Gamunex c helpful to patients with Gehrig's Disease? 7 minutes later
o.k,
she has had a severe problem with blurred vision, cold feet and hands, very confused and she is severely tired after noon.a lot of muscle pain. she has a loss of appetitie, slight nausea, her mood changes in a matter of minutes and she is
getting mean( i believe because she is such a self sufficient person and knows that she has no control over what is done to her).

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment would help her.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with more information.

I can understand her discomfort and depression, on account of her illness.

At this stage, she would benefit a lot from symptomatic treatment. This would include ibuprofen for pain, mild dose of anti anxiety medications, such as clonazepam, and multivitamin supplements.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Would the medicine Gamunex c helpful to patients with Gehrig's Disease? 19 minutes later
would this medicine stop her muscles from weakening or not be able to be used. would it help improve her muscles. she is on atonelle, and spironolactone

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This medicine would help to a certain extent

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Riluzole would help increase the muscle power by one grade (mild improvement). This benefit can be maintained for six months to two years. However, further weakness of muscles would continue, and after two to five years, it may be difficult to use the muscles for any useful function, as the disease progresses.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Would the medicine Gamunex c helpful to patients with Gehrig's Disease? 1 hour later
thank you so much. we do not give up easily. i dont want my mother to die thinking that we on her behalf have tried every thing to help.

my next question is on me. i am on lisinopril..10 mg. since i started taking it. it has been impossible for me to lift my arms, every muscle in my body hurts.
so if her blood pressure medicine is doing to her what mine is to me.is it possible that it could be part of her muscle problem.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lisinopril usually does not cause muscle problems

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and my best wishes to your mother.

Regarding you, lisinopril usually does not cause muscle pain and weakness.
So, one has to look for alternative causes for the same.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)