Would statins be prescribed for any skin conditions?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Would statins be prescribed for any skin conditions? If so, would a liver function test be ordered before prescribing any medication?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: used in treating xanthalesma Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. Statins are lipid lowering agent. These are used in treating xanthalesma, a skin condition appearing due to high cholesterol. Statins have side effects on liver and kidney hence both both liver function and kidney function tests must be done. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Would statins be prescribed for any skin conditions? 1 hour later
I am assuming the liver tests would be checking the AST and ALT numbers. At what elevation range would you tell the patient they were unable to receive the medication? Also would it be normal practice to recommend to the patient that they should have further testing done on their liver?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tests must be done at monthly interval Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up Yes AST and ALT will be tested. At 20 % increase from the normal value we avoid medication. Yes tests must be done at monthly interval while on medication. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you