Would like to know the window period associated with HIV screening test?

Hello, I would like to know the window period associated with the HIV Screening Test (S010) which has been described in the link (please check below), if possible, suggest more tests with low window periods to get a reasonable accuracy to determine HIV infection :

Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At least 4 - 6 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well window period is the is the time period between the onset of HIV infection and the appearance of detectable antibodies to the virus. During this period false negative test may occur .

Antibodies are produced from about three weeks after infection and generally become detectable by four to six weeks after infection. The test that you have asked for is a screening test based on ELISA and has a similar window period.

If you have any doubts you can go to an ART centre run by NACO where you reside and the doctor may assess the risk and put you on prophylactic antiretroviral therapy.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Would like to know the window period associated with HIV screening test? 17 minutes later

First of all thanks for responding, I would like someone to answer the second part, can someone suggest some alternative for a lesser window period. Today I contact a clinic and they said they do 4th generation ELISA which has a window period of only 2 weeks. How valid is that?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes its true.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

It is right that 4th generation ELISA are one of the most sensitive test available alongside p24 antigen assay but these are available at few centres .

If you have an access to them you can undergo them but in case even if they are negative they will need to be repeated again after a month or so to completely rule out HIV .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Would like to know the window period associated with HIV screening test? 4 minutes later
Well mam this will be my last query, they said the package includes a follow up on negative result after the test. But I would like your opinion on whether I should go after 2 weeks or 3 weeks to give the sample for test?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
3 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Antibodies take time to generate that varies with persons . 3 weeks will be good enough .

But I told you if you have doubts go to HIV specialist and start the medicine prophylaxis . Generally it is given for 1 month and then can be stopped if tests are negative.

Dr. Shruti