Would like to know about lymph nodes and its symptoms. Feel joint pain and cannot rotate arm. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Dear Doctor,

I would like to know about lymph nodes in arm pit and its symptoms

I am facing a pain in the location where my finger has been pointed.

Can you tell me is it lymph node ? Even i could not rotate my arm in fully

I feel pain in joint. Joint pain may be carrying of heavy luggage in last week.

Can you advice me what it is (lymph node) and why there may be pain ?

pain has started from yesterday.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 31 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Lymph nodes are small glands which can swell and become painful when inflamed. Inflammation is caused by infection in the area of the lymph node. There are lymph nodes all over the body and the glands on the armpit commonly become inflamed when there is infection in that area or the arm or hand on that side. Usually, the swelling and pain will reduce when the infection subsides. You can often feel these enlarged nodes and they may be quite tender to touch.
The pain you feel in your joint is not necessarily due to lymph nodes. It is more likely related to carrying the heavy luggage you mention and may be more of a muscle strain.
I would suggest trying to avoid any excessive strain on the shoulder for a few days. The pain is likely to subside. If you feel your glands are swollen and remain so after 4 weeks then visit your doctor for examination and investigation.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger