Ask a Homeopath   »  

Would it be ok to take a little bit of baking soda daily in water? Is it recommended to maintain body's pH?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Would it be ok to take a little bit of baking soda daily dissolved in water? Would it hurt me and how much would you recommend to help maintain the body's PH.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Alternative Medicine
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Baking Soda a day to day sodium bicarbonate has got good number of medicinal properties

Yet as with every medicinal product, there are few facts you should be aware of :

Sodium bicarbonate can be used orally in doses of 1/2 tsp in 4 oz of water every two hours for gastrointestinal upset, and it should not to exceed 7 doses per day.

What I gather from your information is that you are using it to control your GERD symptoms

Here are few instructions :

The directions of usage are as follows :

Add 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 glass (4 fl. oz.) of water every 2 hours.
Dissolve completely in water. Accurately measure 1/2 teaspoon.
Do not take more than the following amounts in 24 hours:
--Seven 1/2 teaspoons.
--Three 1/2 teaspoons if you are over 60 years.

A word of caution :
Do not use the maximum dosage for more than 2 weeks.

Each 1/2 teaspoon contains 616 mg sodium.

PH of the body varies during different parts of the day and accordingly the dosage would vary

But for the PH Maintenance here is a guideline for usage during the night.

It is best used when pH is around 5.6-5.9 (urinary).

The usual dosage is 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate.

Yet it is always advisable to go for clinically proven medicines for long term treatment than go for a household remedy

Hope this helps

If there are no further doubts , do accept my reply and rate it
Get Well Soon