Would a 4 days of heavy drinking raise alt and trygliceride levels?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Would a 4 days of heavy drinking raise my alt and trygliceride levels and how long would it take to go back to normal?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

If you are sure you started to consume alcohol heavily since four days there is no need to test for triglycerides. Serum Liver enzymes can raise within 4 days. However there may be other co founding factors for longtime that can drastically raise triglycerides in the blood.

The length of time it takes to lower your these triglycerides depends on your willingness to change your diet and lifestyle. Anything from few months to an year would be an approx timeline.

While reducing or eliminating alcohol can play a major role in achieving a healthy triglyceride level.

Excess drinking can raise triglycerides in addition to raising your blood pressure and providing you with extra calories. You don't need to be a big drinker, as even small amounts of alcohol can cause large changes in your triglyceride levels.

Your triglyceride levels react quickly to fat and sugar in your diet. Eliminate both from your diet and your triglyceride levels could drop within a day--

Reduce your intake of alcohol--even small amounts of alcohol can lead to large changes in plasma triglyceride levels.

By incorporating other lifestyle recommendations (such as dietary changes) into a triglyceride-lowering strategy, taking fish oil along with following a healthy diet can help decrease triglyceride levels in as little as a few days.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Would a 4 days of heavy drinking raise alt and trygliceride levels? 10 hours later
Thank you, I just recently had a blood test and my triglycerides were quite high. I had drunk more than I normally do over a few days and I do drink a lot of Lemonade with beer. My HDL and LDL were low.I exercise 3-5 times a week -gym and swim. I eat a low fat diet. Could it be the sugar in the drinks?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

As I had already said, alcohol is one of the most potent substances that can raise triglyceride levels. Alcohol raises triglyceride levels by both inhibiting the enzyme that breaks it down and by spurning the liver to make more of it.

Drinking almost any alcohol (even as little as 2-4 ounces) raises triglyceride levels.

Regards.