Worried for pregnancy after intercourse. What should be done to avoid pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
sir, i had sex with my 12hrs ago

she is worried that she may get pregnancy . How to avoid pregnancy . She delivered a baby boy after perfoing ceserian surgery 4 months ago. Now she is feeding milk to baby. , YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I m happy to help you.

Basically, women with EBF or exclusive breast feeding (for first six month) are amenorrheic (not getting period). It is called lactational amenorrhea which is considered as natural contraceptive method.

It is 98% - 99.5% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy during the first six months if she does not get her period or continue breast feeding exclusively.

In conclusion, her chance of being pregnant is almost nil if above criteria are fulfilled. For 100% confirmation, you may undergo one ultrasound scan (USG) after 4 weeks and proceed to next line of management after consultation with your doctor.

Practice safe sex by using condom/ progesterone only pill (POP) etc in this time period to avoid unwanted pregnancy with dual protection.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Please accept my answer if you do not have other query.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Worried for pregnancy after intercourse. What should be done to avoid pregnancy? 1 hour later
Sir,
She is already getting periods very often. That is why our worry started. Last time i mean 10 days back her period started. It is said that chances of getting preg is very high, if we had sex in between 10th to 18th day of period.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query. I am trying to give your answer.

She gets her period 10 days ago or very often, that means, she is not on exclusive breast feeding (EBF). Therefore, chance of being pregnant is there, though depends on ovulation time.

In this scenario, I suggest to take emergency contraceptive pill at the earliest (as you did sex 12 hrs ago) though she is breast feeding. It is highly effective (more than 99.5%) in preventing unwanted pregnancy. Although small amounts of the hormones contained in the pill may pass into your breast milk, it is not thought to be harmful to your baby.

As no pill is 100% safe, you should undergo one ultrasound scan after 4 weeks to exclude pregnancy completely.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Please, give me a feedback.

Wish good health for both of you.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Worried for pregnancy after intercourse. What should be done to avoid pregnancy? 36 minutes later
Thank you sir,
For getting emergency contraceptive pill, tell me the tablet name (specification of tablet) to buy from medical shop. How many pills are to be administered to avoid pregnancy immediately. Also please confirm once again whether the pill is harmful to baby boy who takes milk from the mother.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks again for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

She should take emergency contraceptive pill which contains levonorgestrel (progesterone pill) like I-pill/ Unwanted 72 as soon as possible for highest effectiveness or within 72 hrs. Two tablets to be taken with 12 hrs apart. A withdrawal bleeding may come within 7-10 days after taking the tab and it is a normal thing. In case of heavy bleeding for more than 7 days, you need to consult with gynecologist for next line of management.

Small amounts of the hormones contained in the pill may pass into your breast milk but it is not thought to be harmful to your boy baby.

Also you should undergo one ultrasound scan after 4 weeks to exclude pregnancy completely. Practice safe sex with dual protection in this time period.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of her and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen