Worried about side effects of Utovlan. Taking Aspirin after PFO closure

Is utovlan if overweight, have taken for three days and the side affects on leaflet worry me.

Am currently on 75 mg of aspirin following pfo closure last year.

Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Utovlan or norethisterone is a hormone similiar to progesterone which is produced in the body. Natural progesterone normally helps to build up the lining of the womb.
Utovlan is normally used in a wide range of menstrual disorders such as endometriosis, painful periods, heavy bleeding, premenstual syndrome, irregular periods,delaying the period.

It does have potential side effects like all medication such as nausea, headache,bloating , decreased sex drive, breast discomfort, dizziness, to name just a few.
There are also scenarios in which it is contraindicated (should not be used) including in persons who have a history of disease blood vessels that caused a stroke. You have a history of a TIA but this attributed to a patent f ovale but persons with PFO may have events that may or may not be related to the PFO itself. You may want to speak to your doctor to ensure that the other risk factors ( blood presssure, weight, blood sugar, cholesterol,smoking, any other disease of the blood vessels) that can contribute to TIA or strokes are controlled.
In terms of the weight gain- it can cause weight gain in some persons, if your doctor states that it is ok to continue it , then you can monitor your weight to check for any evidence of increasing weight. In some persons it is not noticable.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Worried about side effects of Utovlan. Taking Aspirin after PFO closure 6 minutes later
My go prescribed it to delay my period as on holiday. I am overweight and am worried that taking it is causing a dvt etc. I should mention I do tend to panic and see the worse case scenarios since last year. I am not going to take any more tablets, how long until they are out of my system. I have the odd bruise on leg and my mind has gone into overdrive.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later

After a TIA, especially at young age , it is normal to get worried, it would more abnormal if you didn't worry after such an event.
Utovlan has a half life of 5 to 7 hours. Half life is the it takes for medication in the body to fall to half of the level it was originally. This means by 15 hours most of it should be gone.
Medical literature states that by 24 hours about 1% remains.

i hope this helps, have a good holiday, feel free to ask any other questions