Worried about pregnancy. Negative blood test. Unprotected sex.

Question
I had sex on 9 December and the condom broke. I had a blood test done on 7 January and it has come back negative. Previous to that I only had sex once between May and July, not sure when it took place. My question is if I had conceived between may and XXXXXXX would that show positive on my blood test even if they thought they were testing for a first trimester pregnancy and not a third trimester. I am really worried I am about 7 months pregnant and don't know it. I am35 years so feel really stupid.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Urine tests for pregnancy detect the pregnancy only upto 100 days of gestation. If you are seven months pregnant then urine test is not likely to be positive.
The only way to know your duration of gestation is to get an ultrasound scan of abdomen done under the guidance of your gynecologist.
I encourage you to consult your gynecologist for antenatal check up and proper investigations that are needed during pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Worried about pregnancy. Negative blood test. Unprotected sex. 10 hours later
It was a blood test that was carried out, would that detect a pregnancy at 32 weeks?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Even if it was a blood test, the serum HCG levels do decrease after 14 weeks of gestation. The test is not likely to detect pregnancy.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.