Worried about hepatitis C infection and IBS. Abdominal pain, diarrhea.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I recently ended a relationship with a female who after the fact I found out wasn't the greatest person in the world. I have been screened for all stds all neg. we had unprotected sex a lot over coarse of a month and a half. One morning I accidentally used her toothbrush thinking it was mine. This has me concerned over hep c. At 6 weeks after our last sexual encounter and 9 weeks post toothbrush incident I started having a slight discomfort in my lower right abdomen area. Sometimes it's below the ribs sometimes jus under bottom ribs. The discomfort comes and goes and seems like the more I think about it the more I feel it. It sometimes feels like a cramping feeling. At around 9.5 to 10 weeks post toothbrush incident I had a neg antibody test for hcv. This was little over 7 weeks after last sexual encounter. Now around 12 weeks after the incident I still get the discomfort that comes and goes and now have had yellowish diarrhea 2 times. I had a cat scan done and everything was normal. My ? Is could this be hep c? Does acute hep c abdominal pain come an go or steady? When do most people show + when acquiring hep c? How reliable do you feel the test at 10 weka is? Also what else do you think it could be? I heard maybe IBS? If this is the case does IBS ABDOMINAL pain move or is it in the same spot usually? Please help I am a nervous wreck and very upset thanks.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
From your description it appears that two issues are bothering you,

1. Hepatitis C infection and
2. Inflammatory bowel disease.

1. Hepatitis C infection is usually silent. Majority of cases are incidentally picked up. It is Hepatitis B which is more XXXXXXX and has an incubation period ranging from 6 wks to 6 months. There is a possibility of concomitant hepatitis C infection as well in a select few cases. So get yourself checked for the viral infections (Hepatitis B, hepatitis C) after 6 months from the accident you described.

2. The abdominal pain may be related to stress. As long as your appetite, food and bowel movements are unaltered you need not worry. This is also confirmed by the CT (Computerized Scan) scan you did.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.