Worried about aneurysm or vascular brain problem. Headache after powerlifting. Have hypertension. Taking Dolex.

Healthy 39 year old male. Currently 8 weeks into a 12 month sabbatical and have been living on Bogota Colombia for past 5 weeks to study spanish. Have been exercising here moderatly since arrival 3 times a week, 20-30 mins of cardio then 45 mins of weights(a routine program I have been doing fo 1.5 years in Vancouver Canada and involves some powerlifting with some weights lifted near double bodyweight. 10 days ago after a failed lift of nearly double body weight ( maybe relevant maybe not) I developed a mild headache not immediatly maybe 36 hours later (I have never been to a dr regarding headaches as I dont get them). Headache still present after 5 days so I sought medical attention and went to private clinic. Dr said it was migraine and gave me some meds and said pain would go away. I took medication and it did nothing. 2 days later I sought another opinion and went to a highly regarded private hospital where i ended up being evauated by a cardiovascualr physician whos opinion is that I have hypertension (155/ dont remember) and that may be causing them headaches. I was prescribed lotravan and am supposed to see the same physician tomorrow to recheck my pressure and for further evaluation. (i had blood pressure checked in Vancouver a year ago and again it was high 155-160 and dr there said I need to be put on medication to lower it but I ignored advice and tried to lower it thru exercise and diet.

Headache is still present yesterday and today hasnt diminshed or gone away, in fact I am taking Dolex to numb the pain. I am worried it is a brain anuersym or some thing vascular in the brain. They took no blood work at the hospital, no CAT or MRI scans but I have the money and can pay for them to be here or I can hop on a plane tomrrow night and head back to canada to have them done
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

Regarding your headache, I would agree with the cardiologist about the hypertension causing the headache. It can increase or appear after strenuous exercise as exercise increases the blood pressure. Sometimes we can have a combination of migraine as well as hypertensive headache.

The character of the headache in you does not look like that of an aneurysm or vascular malformation. So do not worry.

I personally feel you may require blood work up only for the cause of hypertension and not for the headache. If your headache does not respond to the given medication then you can go for CAT or MRI scan to see for other causes of headache.

I also suggest you to check your blood pressure again to see if you are responding to the medications prescribed. If not consult your cardiophysician for drug modification and evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R