Ask a Urologist   »  

Worm in urine. Pain in penis with bleeding. Need suggestion

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i just urinated and noticed a worm (I think it was a worm) in the toilet afterwards. It was thin, dark in colour, pointy on 1 end and about 2 inches in length. My penis hurt slightly afterwards and there was bleeding for about 10 minutes afterwards. I am very concerned- what do you recommend?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Parasite and worm infections of bladder and urinary system are possible but it is very rare,especially in developed countries. So I am not sure if this was a worm from your urinary system. it could have been worm in toilet from before or more common some urinary stone, blood coagulum, pus or so called "cylinders" form your ureter/kidneys which may indicate urinary infection.
In every case you should do urine analysis and basic blood work and it will show if there is any abnormality.If this is worm,it is usually easily treated by 14 days of antiparasite medicines,and bacterial infections are even more easily treated so you dont have to be concerned
Till you do tests,just drink plenty of fluids and uroprotective(cranbberies for example) teas. if you notice worm again,fever or pain in kidneys visit doctor ASAP.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards