Working out with a personal trainer. Noticed bloating in stomach, lower abdomen and vaginal lips swelling. Remedy?

I recently started working our with a personal trainer, the sewcond time we worked out abs now my stomack is really bloaded, I have read online that this is normal and I maybe retaining water. The swelling went down since I took a break but then I worked out again and now the sweilling is in my lower abdomen and my vaginal lips are also really swollen. The swelling went down overnight when I slept but now it is sowllen again. I am getting discouraged. I just got blood work done a week ago and everything is normal and had my annual ob gyn exam recently as well. SO I think that rules out any STDs I am with the same partner. This just happened when i worked out. It is not itchy and no odor just very puffy and swollen.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your inquiry. Indeed, the most common cause of swelling in such a setting would be interstitial fluid/inflammation due to overexertion of skeletal muscle; the muscle itself when inflammed can retain water; other times, venous return may be more difficult and can lead to swelling from the chest down, specially if there are varicose veins; gentle use of antiniflammatories like ibuprophen, compression stocklings and leg elevations can certainly help; things should get better as your body conditions to the level of exercise, but if they don't, I believe it could be reasonable to obtain some abdominal imaging such as CT scan to ensure there is no anatomical abnormalities.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN