Working in shifts, on night shift. no continuous sleep post work, waking after few hours. Ways to sleep longer ?

Hi Doctor, i work in various shifts. Currently im doing night shifts ( 10 pm to 7 am). Im not getting proper sleep after night shift. Im not having continuous sleep. I sleep for 2 or 3 hours then woke. Then its hard to get sleep again. Please suggest me some ways to get long sleep after night shifts.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

After night shifts it is difficult to get a long sleep continuously as the normal circadian rhythm of the body gets disturbed. It is very necessary to follow the same sleeping schedule daily in dark surroundings to get a sound sleep.

To get a good sleep follow this routine:

1. Take a warm bath, go for a relaxing stroll, or practice meditation/relaxation exercises as part of your regular nighttime routine.
2.Reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol, particularly before sleeping.
3.Try to go to bed at the same time every time, and get up at the same time each day. This includes weekends.
4.Get plenty of exercise.
5. Block out surrounding environmental noise.
6.Avoid small naps during the night.
If all these measures do not help then you can use a mild sedative after consulting with your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Working in shifts, on night shift. no continuous sleep post work, waking after few hours. Ways to sleep longer ? 20 hours later
Thanks for you answer.

Due to improper sleep, i see black ring below my eyes. Please suggest me in getting it removed
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

With respect to the dark circles under the eyes, these are due to stress, lack of proper sleep and long hours of work on the computer. You may need to change some of your habits and dietary patterns and this issue will be resolved on its own.

Some remedies and precautions that are effective at fading the dark circles off your face are:

1. Apply a Sunscreen every day before you set off from home for office or a trip.

2. Drink copious amounts of water.

3. Application of plain (black tea) bags over closed eyes effectively fades off under eye dark circles.

4. Cucumber Juice - mash a cucumber, with the skin still on it, and apply the juice to your face. Leave it on for at least fifteen minutes, and then wash off.

5. Also, make sure you exercise regularly, and get enough sleep.

6. Avoid intake of excess salt in food items.

7. Apply overnight eye creams that contain Vitamin C and Vitamin K. Such creams help a lot in fading the dark circles under your eyes by strengthening blood vessel walls.

8. Include certain foods like, cranberries, blueberries, bilberries, tea (green and black), black currant, onions, legumes, and parsley that are XXXXXXX in antioxidants in your diet.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.