Working for the nail beauty industry. Started feeling soreness in oesophagus. Could it be a cancer?

I work with methacrylate acid amongst other chemicals...polymers and monomers, I heat them to pour them and work with powders putting them into containers for the nail beauty undustry ( gel and acrylic nail products). I had been filling containers with all sorts of products in a very small room for about 2 weeks, and a few days after I stopped I seemed ok then on the fourth day in the middle of the day when I swallowed it feels like an open sore in my esophagus at the top of mt breat bone area and my chest wall aches and burns. Could this be cancer or a burn inside my chest walls an esophagus even tho it didnt hurt until days after? I get low fevers at night and achy. If it is alchemical burn will it ever heal? It has been two weeks since the sharp feeling sore spot came and the inflamed burning in my whole upper torso came and it has not subsided one bit.....I'm scared :(
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your mail in detail. It seems that your problems are related to chemical induced burning sensation of the epigastria. Cancer is associated with obstruction, nausea, vomiting and some time bleeding. I do not think you have it. Other causes can be history of GERD, Gastritis and infection of the upper gastrointestinal track. To get rid from your problem you have to follow some instructions:
1. Avoid exposure to all chemicals. Wear cap and mask while work.
2. Take plenty of water.
3. Avoid spicy and junk food.
4. Wash your hand and part exposed to chemicals properly before meals.
4. As you have fever, you need a course of effective antibiotic. It can be due to infection or inflammation of the track.
5. Along with antibiotic you may also needs antacids, PPI inhibitors like pantoprazole and H2 anatagonists like Ranitidine and famotidine, depending on the symptoms and condition.
Feel free to consult your Gastroenterologist and have a medicinal trial. If your symptoms does not revealed or become worse than you may diagnostic test like endoscopy. Endoscopy also helps you to rule out cancer like disease, which you have being worried for.
My wish is that you get feel better by medication and life style changes. Hope I have answered your queries. Write back if you have other related queries.
Best Wishes and have a healthy life.
Dr. Kulbir Singh