Work on assembly paintline. Having bloated stomach, gas when at work. Possible reasons ?

paint fumeshi 41 white male.i work on assembly paintline.when at work stomach gets bloating pains gas stringing stools.if i eat at work its worse.i work 12 hr shifts.when off work only hurts first hr after work.on days off im great no problems.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Paints are known to contain a number of heavy metals and chemicals some of which have adverse effects on the GI tract.
The strict relationship to your occupation reflects the relation to some chemical exposed at your work place - mostly the fumes and probably oral intake
Some of them (lead, arsenic, mercury) are toxic to vessels and produce ischaemic changes
Others (Arsenic, vinyl compounds) affect the liver and cause liver dysfunction
These are usually seen after long term exposure.
Hence i will advice you to consult your company doctor or the occupational hazzard expert and in the meeanwhile take adequate precautions to avoid any more exposures - masks, eye protection, good hand washins and protective clothings
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Work on assembly paintline. Having bloated stomach, gas when at work. Possible reasons ? 6 hours later
i work 12 hr shifts mostly nights it starts about 5 hrs into shift like a gas bloated feeling if i eat at work it gets pains after i go to toilet gas just comes out.after i go home after first hr home pain goes a way.we make tillage blades for farming parts are put through a seperate enclosed tank to dunk them then a furnace.

is it IBS symdrom i take gas x pills can my family doctor give any medication to help me.

regards XXXXXXX in ontario canad
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification

IBS is classically abdominal discomfort that is releived after passing stools and can be of diarrhoeal or contipation type
Your descripyion of pain releived by passage of gas and flatus could mean a dysmotility disorder or an obstruction
Since you are completly asymtomatic at home and it comesup at your work place it is most likely a dysmotility disease caused by exposure to chemicals.
Hence consult you Occupational health expert and in the meanwhile use some prokinetics and fibre supplements
Follow-up: Work on assembly paintline. Having bloated stomach, gas when at work. Possible reasons ? 5 hours later
i read up on dysmotility from reading it i have alot of symtoms just like you said.Is there anything like diet changes or medications my doctor can help me with.Plus what tests can confirm i have that.I will start wearing a mask at work and get a sheet from work as to what is in the paint we use to give to my doctor.

Thank you so much. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

There is no specific dysmotility diets on cards. A high fiber diet would be the best form of diet in your case.

In addition, prokinetics like itopride or cinatapride might be helpful. Your primary physician can prescribe you these prokinetics if they are not available over the counter.

Get yourself investigated for bacterial overgrowth under the guidance of your gastroenterologist.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health.