Wore new shoes and sole of foot was sore to walk and swollen ankles. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I wore new shoes all day and danced in them. The next day I woke up with the sole of my foot being sore to walk on. I hobbled on it like that for a couple of days limping on the heel to avoid the front part of my sole which was in pain. Two days later I experienced swelling in the ankle with a localized pain on the outside of my ankle but not in the joint itself. Its been 7 days, still swollen and sore. Was this a) ankle sprain, b) plantar facitis turned into an ankle sprain or c) something like gout?
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not plantar fasciitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your question

It is not plantar fasciitis for sure, but gout +/- ankle sprain is a possibility.

Other option is stress fracture in foot and tendon inflammation in ankle.

Try anti-inflamatory tablets and exercises your ankle for few days.

If no improvement then you need blood test to check for gout and possibly x-ray of foot/ankle

Kind regards
Follow-up: Wore new shoes and sole of foot was sore to walk and swollen ankles. Suggest? 17 hours later

I recently went through a dietary change, eating less food, less meat and not drinking alcohol at all starting early summer. I even had blood uric acid lowered using allopurinol which I was on for a month during the summer. I rarely get gout attacks. The swelling is around not in the ankle joint and it seems to be decreasing with ice.

With this in mind is it now more gout or more ankle sprain?

Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
That makes the picture more clear.

Your symptoms still go with gout very much.
Although you have tried to treat your gout, it is a disease which can still come on even if you are on diet.

Unlikely sprain because the sprain will start straight away after injury not 2 days later as in your case.

Take anti-Inflammatory such as Indomethacin for 3 - 5 days regularly and symptoms should improve. (make sure you do not have allergy or contra-indication to NSAID)

Do not start Allopurinol now but wait until the swelling and pain settle.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.