Wondering about Asperger's syndrome. Am introvert, don't like bright light, good at math, musical, hate eye contact, good vocabulary

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I am 15 years old and I'm wondering if I could have Aspegers syndrome. To start, I am quite introverted, I don't socialize well at all, I rarely go out of my way to start a convosrsation and when I do I find it difficult to keep the convorsation going. I have a few routines that I stick to strictly and I am usually unpleasant when these are routines are broken. I really don't like bright light. I excel at math and I'm at least 2 or 3 years ahead of average while other subjects I have little interest in. I also am quite musical so I guess I'm lucky that I found my passion early. I sometimes use words in convorsation that may be too formal or advanced for who I'm talking to. I absolutely hate eye contact. People have said in the past that I make weird facial expressions unintentionally. I hate fads, I don't really fit in but I don't really care. My cousin has full blown Aspergers for sure so it could quite possibly be in the family genes. Sorry this was such a long question but I would really apreciate good answer. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Hi there.

In Aspergers syndrome the person finds it difficult to understand cues as to when and how to modulate a statement which is being told. Supposing you are speaking of a topic and it is interesting only to you but not to others, you will not be able to understand the cues as to stop talking about it because your friends are bored of the topic even though you aren't. If you do not have this trait it is less likely Asperger.

Also persons with Aspergers tend to have problems with language speaking and processing. The person may also like to remember details of 'conventionally boring ideas' like remembering model number of certain cameras but not caring about photography.

Being shy, good at Mathematics and using words of a better Vocabulary does not mean there is something wrong with you. You could say you are introverted but you definitely do not have Asperger's syndrome. You just seem to have your own way of dealing with things. Being strict about deadlines and completion of tasks means you are responsible and firm about task completion.

You need to stop looking inside yourself for answers but rather go out there and face your fears. Do what you always wanted to but were scared to do. Try trusting people more often by giving them a chance.

Embrace who you are, accept yourself for the person you are and have goals and ambitions. Confide in friends and participate in group activities. In the beginning it will be tough because lack of knowledge of the new situation but eventually you will excel in whatever you do.

Unless you accept yourself and give yourself a chance to experience this world, you will never see the real you and will always be bound to thinking you are mentally sick.

You can take the help of a Counsellor or a Psychologist to help understand your qualities and rule yourself of suffering from any kind of syndrome or disorder.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.