Wokeup with shaking of lips, legs and hands, upper lips turned purple. Reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my daughter awoke to shakes in her lips legs and hands . my concern is her upper lip turned a light shade of purple
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
It's not very clear in your query whether your daughter has had the first episode of a seizure ( involuntary shaking movements of limbs or body ) or it happened due to chills .
I assume it to be a seizure since you mentioned that her upper lip turned purplish ( ie cyanosed) which is usually due to decreased oxygenation or circulation of blood to that part.
Many a times seizures might be accompanied by cyanosis of lips tongue, tongue bite, drooling , vomiting , or loss of consciousness.
To differentiate whether your daughter had a seizure or chills I would like to know few more details regarding the onset, duration and progress of the episode, whether any associated past history of similar complaints in the child or in family, whether taking any medicines at present etc
Alternatively it's best and advisable to get her physically evaluated by her pediatrician to rule out any significant causes like seizure disorder or a cardiorespiratory disorder both of which can cause such symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries .