Woke up with thick jelly like substance outside the eyeball with red and itchy eye. Any thoughts?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Woke up with a thick jelly like substance or layer on the outside of my eyeball, and my eye is red and a little itchy, not painful. No problems with contacts the day before. Any thoughts?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 42 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Health Care Magic,

Presence of thick jelly like substance outside the eyeball causing redness and itching and no pain suggests conjunctivitis.

You have mentioned that you are a contact lens wearer. Conjunctivitis is more common in contact lens wearers due to infection.

The thick jelly like substance is the exudate which deposited due to inflammation.
Another important cause of conjunctivitis is allergy.

The treatment is different for allergic and infective conjunctivitis so visit your ophthalmologist for clinical examination and culture of the exudate. In case infection is present antibiotic eye drops will be given.
If allergic conjunctivitis is present mast cell stabilizers will be given.

If you have more queries I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal