Woke up with spinning sensations and feeling off balance. Can this be vertigo attack or something else?

Excellent

Question
I had what they say a vertigo attack on Sunday..where when I woke up the room spun like 300 miles per hour is what it felt like... Today is Friday and have not had any spinning sensations but feel off balance is this normal..I had 2 epley maneuver done and still feel off balanced..help!!!!!!!! Can it be something else? I feel like the back of my head either moves..comes in waves and I sway from left to right but if you are looking at me you won't see it..it's like inside my body or head..going for my hearing test on Tuesday....
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can take weeks for resolution Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic There are different causes of vertigo, the most common are: (1) benign paroxysmal positional vertigo which is treated with the epley maneuver. In this type of vertigo, the episodes lasts for a few seconds and may vary with position. It can be associated with nausea. It can actually take up to 6 weeks for complete remission can occur. Even though you are not experiencing any vertigo, it is not uncommon to feel a sensation of imbalance after an episode. In rare cases there is no remission of symptoms, after treatment the rate of recurrence occurring is 10 to 25% . This means one in ten or one in 25 persons may have a recurrence. (2)Meniere's disease- this is also another cause of vertigo . In this case, however, the episodes lasts for minutes to hours and are normally associated with tinnitus (abnormal noises in the ear) and hearing loss. (3)vestibular neuronitis- these episodes last for hours to days, associated with nausea. There may be a previous history of a viral illness in the weeks prior. There are other causes of vertigo but these are the most common. If you are experiencing any additional symptoms such as the hearing loss or tinnitus then it is possible that the cause of your symptoms are meniere's. If it is BPPV, then it can take a few weeks for the symptoms to completely resolve even with the Epley. There are medications that can be taken for a short period of time that may help you. I hope this help, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Woke up with spinning sensations and feeling off balance. Can this be vertigo attack or something else? 36 minutes later
I had 2 epley so done on Tuesday.. But feel off balanced this is day 5 from attack.. When I go to brush my teeth I feel the sensation that everything moving but full force.. I am able to stop by stopping to brush and talk my way Out of it. It feels like it's coming from the back of my head..feels like it moves.. Happens when I sit too..I am sorry I am just so scared as I never expire exoierenced anything of such... The off balance is slightly better since Monday but still I can't drive. Wanted to ask you is this an inner ear infection, when ent looked in my ears with light he said it looked good and so did my nose... Can he not see if there is an inner ear infection? What happened if there is bleed in my head...and it's causing this sensation.. My mind is going everywhere... Thanks for helping me.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infections normally involve the outer or middle ea Detailed Answer: HI It is understandable to be worried. Infections can occur in the external or middle ear, it is not common to have infections involving the inner ear. Infections of the middle ear can cause temporary vertigo but the signs of ear infection can be seen on examination. There would be visible changes and usually symptoms such as pain and fever. The diseases I had mentioned are related to the inner ear but are not infections just conditions affecting the inner ear and causing a loss of balance as a result. In terms of a bleed in the brain, this is a type of stroke. A stroke can result from either a bleed in the brain or a blockage of blood vessels. A stroke would cause other symptoms related to the area of the brain involved. It can cause weakness on one side, changes to a side of the face, affect speech and swallowing. It is possible that masses in the face or brain can cause dizziness and vertigo but again there are usually other symptoms. Vertigo can be one of the worst experiences ever, it can cause the abnormal symptoms that you are experiencing. As mentioned it can actually persist for a few weeks, in some cases longer. Hope this reassures you Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Woke up with spinning sensations and feeling off balance. Can this be vertigo attack or something else? 10 minutes later
Ok..I don't have any of those symptoms. I have not had any more spinning either..I just the off balance , I am going to fall feeling..or like I am swaying left to right... The dr wants to prescribe klonopin for sensation ..is that normal.meds Valium? Should I stay away from wine?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: all alcohol should be avoided Detailed Answer: HI Yes, all alcohol should be avoided because they would potentially worsen the sensation. Klonopin is in the family of drugs called benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines can be used for a short period of time to help with the symptoms though valium is may be more commonly used compared to klonopin. These medications should only be used for a few days to a week. Feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: Woke up with spinning sensations and feeling off balance. Can this be vertigo attack or something else? 11 minutes later
Can this come back once it ends.. How did this happen..

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Brief Answer: yes recurrence is possible Detailed Answer: HI Yes, vertigo related to BPPV can reoccur. In terms of how it occurs it is related to the inner ear structures. In the inner ear there are 3 structures called semicircular canals which are involved in balance. There are 2 main theories: (1) particles stuck to a part of canals- this is called the cupulolithiasis theory (2)particles floating in the posterior semicircular canal- called the canalithiasis theory You can feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Woke up with spinning sensations and feeling off balance. Can this be vertigo attack or something else? 1 hour later
So this def from the ears nowhere else in the body is too blame? Feel better knowing that... Thanks so much u have been a great hel. If u can answer my last curiosity I will close up discussion.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most commonly the inner ear Detailed Answer: HI, glad to help you As mentioned , vertigo is most commonly related to inner ear problems but there are other causes that are not as common. In the other causes there are usually other symptoms and as a result a doctor would suggest imaging of the brain. In the absence of any symptoms and signs pointing to another cause, imaging is not done. It can also be done if the patient requests it as part of the workup. Based on the findings of your physical examination, your doctor likely did not find anything to suggest that there are no other causes. If there are any other additional queries related to this or anything else, you can let me know

Follow-up: Woke up with spinning sensations and feeling off balance. Can this be vertigo attack or something else? 17 minutes later
So this off balance feeling that I am experiencing while sitting or standing is normal after a vertigo attack even though it's 5 days later?! I woke up fine after the epley was done but then as day progressed the off balance sets in... Ugh!!!!!! I have 2 little kids to take care and need to get better quick

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: the feeling can remain for weeks Detailed Answer: HI Yes, there can be a residual feeling of imbalance even after the attack of vertigo and the whole problem (vertigo and the sensation of imbalance) can last up to 6 weeks in some persons. In some cases it can last longer. It usually goes on its own. The medication that your doctor is suggesting may allay some of the feeling for a short while. It can be difficult getting anything done when this is happening and I am speaking from experience. You may need to enlist the help of your family and friends. Hope it resolves soon Please feel free to ask anything else if anything remains unclear