Ask a Dentist   »  

Woke up with solid lump around the bottom of the jaw. Should I be concerned?

Last night I was fine and then when I woke this morning right under my chin around the bottom of the jaw I woke up with a solid lump that hurts really bad. Should I be concerned about this and what is it. My gums and teeth don't hurt.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: acute condition needs radiographic evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hello; welcome to hcm; Swelling or lump seen below the chin is suggestive of few conditions like sublingual salivary gland swelling or lymph node enlargement ; abscess draining from periapical infection of lower front teeth; cysts arising from jaw. Since it's a acute infection it cannot be a tumour. I would advise you to get a OPG radiograph done which will help in diagnosis and consult a oral surgeon for examination. The test is recommended. Hope this helps If you have any doubts or queries I will be gland to help you. wishing you quick recovery; Regards. dr.farah XXXXXXX