Woke up with numbness throughout right side of arm till legs, weakness, standing trouble. Should I seek medical attention?

I was sleeping for about a hr when I awoke with a numbness through the right side of my arm and the down to my legs. I felt weak and had trouble is in the middle of the night do I need seek medical attention ASAP? It was almost a hr ago and am feeling almost back to normal just a little shaken up.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The symptoms what you have described are worrisome. It is not a typical symptom of a Nerve compression which sometimes happens if you sleep on one side of your body.

My concern is that there may be some type of central nervous system problem which has occurred. The likelihood that you had a stroke is somewhat low but it is still a possibility even at your young age.

I really have to recommend that you go to the local hospital for evaluation. A thorough examination and imaging workup is necessary.

Most likely you are fine but I really would hate to have you just wait when there is something going on which can be treated immediately.

Again I recommend you go to your local hospital for evaluation.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my recommendations to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert