Woke up with bloody nose and have swollen lymph node under jaw. Is this serious?

ENT Specialist
I woke up with a bloody nose on left side of nostril. All over everything and I have never had one before. Also the left lymph node under my jaw is swollen and very tender. What is this. And my jaw and teeth are a but sire on the left side as well. This really scared me but don't know if it is serious or just a one time issue.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query and as you notice blood in your left nostril and a painful node under your jaw on the same (left)side. This indicates same pathology is responsible for both these.This means there is either acute infection or some neoplastic pathology is going on in your nose and/or paranasal sinuses on left side.

To confirm it you are advice for these investigations-
(a) C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses.
(b) FNAC from enlarge lymph node blow the jaw on left side.
(c) Blood - CBC, ESR, blood sugar -F. & P.P.

By following above we can reach to correct diagnosis which can be manage accordingly. But just now as an emergency measure you may take antibiotic, and haemostatic and if necessary pack the nose with ribon gauge.

I hope this will help you.