Woke up with bad nose bleed, vomiting, pain in hips and also testicular pain. Had major back surgery. What could be the cause?

my husband woke yesterday with a bad nosebleed. he then went to work outside (88 degrees out) but got sick, vomited, and over heated. however, nosebleeds continued and then hip pain began suddenly in both hips, very very bad pain right now. and he continues feeling a bit neuro-like (spacey, etc.). the hip pain is of most concern. he had testicular pain a few days ago that was very bad and also had a ruptured testicle when he was a teenager. he has a cage in his back from his second major back surgery last May, and was finally feeling better until a few days ago. the hip pain is very, very bad...
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

At this age the most common cause of epistaxis(Nasal bleeding) is hypertension(Increased blood pressure).

Dehydration may be another reason because it was a hot day.

Check the blood pressure of your husband for hypertension.

If so consult your doctor and get treated.

Get adequately rehydrated on hot day to prevent nasal dryness which causes the nasal vessels to rupture.

The hip pain may be due to

1. Compression of the spinal cord or the nerve roots from the previous surgery of the back.

2. There is possibility of clot formation in the major blood vessels supplying the lower limbs because the pain was sudden in onset and severe in nature.

3. Torsion of the testis may also present like this.

MRI of the spine and hip
Doppler study of the blood vessels
Ultrasound of the testis will help in diagnosis.

Consult your doctor for more help.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Woke up with bad nose bleed, vomiting, pain in hips and also testicular pain. Had major back surgery. What could be the cause? 15 hours later
I did forget to mention that he has had horrible headaches to go along with this sudden pain.... And we did take BP; a little high but he is on BP medication, but does not take it regularly (believe me, I know this is wrong, but he is a man and I can't tell him what to do..:) ). Please advise. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 hours later

In this case health education and motivation is very important.
Uncontrolled Blood pressure will cause vital organ damage and complications in the long run.

Headache is also likely to be because of hypertension.(Vasoconstriction)
So should try to make him understand that it is for his own good that he needs to take the medicines regularly.