Woke up with back pain. Remedy?

The last couple of weeks I have woken up with gas pain in my back. Some days are worse than others. If I am able to release it or get relief in the bathroom then it will start subsiding.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into our problem I see that you are having problems of gastritis and bloating . I think you need to have a complete evaluation for this . You need to have UGI Endoscopy and H. pylori testing at first . A USG abdomen to rule out any other cause . This can be a symptom of some other disease , we need to rule out any gastric ulceration at first .

To label some body having Irritable bowel syndrome needs thorough evaluation and if all the tests come negative then only it can be concluded that you are suffering from this entity . Till then I would suggest you to avoid spicy and fried foods plus excessive caffeine in your diet. You can continue taking omeprazole till then .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Woke up with back pain. Remedy? 10 minutes later
Several years ago I had an upper and lower endoscopy. I was told I had a hiatic hernia. When I had the temporary colitis I was on an antibiotic starting with the letter meth something. Anyway, I was just hoping to rule out kidney stones or gallbladder. If it is gas I guess I can deal with it. We are in a small town and the good doctors are 30 miles away and are so busy it takes a couple of months to get in to so it is frustrating.

Also wanted to tell you I do take celebrex for arthritis, estrogen, lisinopril, and crestor then vitamin E, A, Calcium and Magnisium.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hiatus hernia may be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Hiatus hernia leads to gastrointestinal reflux disease which may be the cause for your disease plus since you are taking estrogen it is also a risk factor for the same .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Woke up with back pain. Remedy? 1 hour later
So do you think if I went back on the nexium this would stop? I am fighting my insurance to pay for it. Have tried several things without helping.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No .

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam,

Nexium contains esmoprazole and you are taking omeprazole . Both of them belong to same class of drugs and I dont think switching from one to the other will make any difference .

Dr. Shruti