Woke up with a Dent on head. What could be this?

Hi i woke up with a small dent in my head a week ago, i know it was not there the night before, worried! what could it be?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

As head has a bony cage, a dent in the head won’t occur otherwise so easily and without your knowledge unless the skull bones are weak. It would take a significant amount of trauma to produce a dent in the head otherwise.
Weak skull bones are often seen with calcium deficiency (old age) and in some rare diseases like histiocytosis (a type of tumor), or when there are some defects of bone formation.
I would be able to help you better if you would be able to tell me the site and position of the defect and if there are any other complaints that you have.
I would suggest that you get an Xray of the skull PA view and lateral view for starters. Please follow up with me with the report so that we can take this discussion ahead.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.