Woke up shivering and cold in normal temperature. What is causing this?

My husband woke up and is shivering and cold in a normal temperature situation He is usually the one who is warm when I am cold. H is really shivering
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I would initially put forth 3 possibilities for your husband at this point of time.

1. Entirely normal medically, i.e., his temperature fluctuation has been due to the fact of his increasing physiological age as the basal metabolic rate drops due to decreased metabolic needs. This is especially aggravated during change of seasons. If so, then, good maintenance of general health would be all that is necessary like keeping warm, hot soups, etc.

2. If his blood sugar levels are fluctuating more than allowed in spite of medical treatment, due to the presence of his NIDDM (type 2), then the first thing to rule out is an infection in the body. Your doctor would have to be informed about this immediately along with his sugar reports.

3. Thyroid hormone level disturbance is the next medically important investigation if both the above have been ruled out. A test would confirm the same. But, before this, other clinical signs and a detailed examination would have to be corroborated by your physician.

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest you to keep a close watch on his conscious levels and any new sign that he might have that you might want to report to the doctor on your visit. Schedule an early appointment and visit your physician at the earliest.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.