Witnessed episodes of disorientation, slurring of speech and lack of coordination. Taking painkiller and anti-depressant pill. Help?

Nov 2013

My Mother is 93 years old and both of my sisters have witnessed episodes of disorientation, slurring of speech and lack of coordination. She takes 1 pain pill in the morning, a anti-depressant at noon, and a sleeping pill at night. The pain pill and the sleeping pill she has been taking for quite a while. The anti-depressant she has only been taking for 2 months. What steps should I take at this point?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are suggestive of TIAs

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

Your mother's symptoms are suggestive of transient ischemic attacks (TIAs), also called as XXXXXXX strokes. In this condition, the blood supply of a part of brain is reduced for a short while, when the symptoms occur. Blood supply gets restored on its own with resolution of symptoms.

These symptoms are not related to any of the medications she is taking.
Smoking could be contributing to the problem.

If she agrees, evaluation would include MRI of brain and carotid doppler tests.

Aspirin tablets should be started to prevent recurrence of TIA or brain stroke.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: