Withdrawing pregablin. Experiencing headache and dry mouth. What to do?

I am trying to withdraw from pregablin 2 x 25 mg daily .Reduced to 25mg in morning .Four days in I'm experiencing bad headaches and dry mouth when will I feel better .
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 4 hours later

I am Dr. Omer , I am here to answer your query.

Pregabalin is notorious for withdrawal symptoms that you are having , headache , dry mouth when used for more than a 2 weeks - month.

Pregabalin causes withdrawal effects after long-term use if discontinued abruptly. When prescribed for seizures, quitting can increase the strength of the seizures and possibly cause the seizures to reoccur, same applies for depression and pain killer effect.

Withdrawal symptoms include restlessness, insomnia,headaches, confusion, xerostomia(dry mouth) and anxiety. Pregabalin should be reduced gradually when finishing treatment. Because of complication risk associated with certain common side-effects in patients affected by other health issues.

Pregabalin withdrawal is treated with the following:

1.BZD that has a prolonged clinical effect (eg, diazepam) given orally or intravenously and titrated to effect till the tapering time of pregabalin.
2.Restarting the pregabalin in dose in which withdrawal symptom finishes and follow a more tapering way (25%reduction in dose/week).
3.SSRI (FLOUXETENE) or Carbamazepine till the tapering time of pregabalin.

Hope this helps.

Take care,