With reference to the stool test report suggest the further course of action for child suffering from loose motion and vomiting

Gastroenterologist
Question
My baby boy 38 days old, having loose motions and vomtings since last 18 days. he is feeding with Lactogen-1 formula milk. We already consulted local doctor and did stool test as per his suggestion. Below are the test results. the test was conducted at 20/12/13. stool exemption with reducing substance color - brownish reaction - Alkaline mycous - absent Chemical Examination reducing substance- (-ve) Negetive glucose - absent lactose - absent microscopic examination OVA - absent CYSTS of protozova - absent vegetative forms - absent WBC - loaded RVC - absent macrophases - absent yeast cells - absent sat globules - seen starch - seen vegtable sells - seen epipnelial cells- absent other finding- bacterial flora (+ve) as per the doctors suggestion we used below medicine. Amakasin: injection used for 9 days 2 times a day (each time 2 ml) carmopeppin - drops ( 15ml) arystogyl-F- drops Colistop-BS- drops but, still the loose motions and vomtings are not yet controlled since last 18 days. please suggest the next course of actions.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more information to give a complete answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I would like to know some more information before I can give my opinion. 1. Is he on exclusive breastfeeds or formula feeds? 2. How is his urine output? Is he urinating at least 4-6 times per day? 3. Is he taking feeds normally? 4. Is he gaining weight? Kindly get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: With reference to the stool test report suggest the further course of action for child suffering from loose motion and vomiting 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX See below information for your queries. 1. Is he on exclusive breastfeeds or formula feeds? ANS: We can say 99% formula feeds and 1% breast feed per day( because the mother does not have milk) 2. How is his urine output? Is he urinating at least 4-6 times per day? ANS: The urine output is in white color and he urinating more than 6 times a day. 3. Is he taking feeds normally? ANS: Feeding 7 times a day, Contains 75- 80 ML( Formula milk- Lactogen-1) per each feeding. 4. Is he gaining weight? ANS: Yes, but, it seems he is gaining wait very slowly. He was born( 11/22/13) with 3.1 kg Wait. After 1 month increased to 3.25 KG Currently he is having 3.4 KG ( Wait as of 12/29/13)

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 days later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX I apologize for my delayed response. I was out at a conference. Thank you for providing the further details. Your baby is having a bacterial infection that is documented by the stool test. He is being given the right medications. Please continue and complete the treatment course of all the antibiotic medicines that he is being prescribed. I am glad he is passing urine normally. There is no need to worry much about his slow weight gain. He will eventually improve. In my view, the problem lies in the formula feeds. There is a contamination somewhere in the process of preparing the feed. Please sterilize the vessels thoroughly before preparing the food. You must maintain strict hygiene while feeding the baby, and with his food articles. Do not allow to many people to handle the baby as it may increase the chance of infection. My wishes to him for an early recovery.