With reference to the sleep test report should I take respiratory support?

Pulmonologist
Question
I had gone through a Sleep Test, as the doctor who i had consulted for high cholestrol had sugested to get this test done. the Cholestrol levels are now normal. But the sleep test results seems to be bad, and i was informed to interviene immediately as the test results were horrific, and i have been receivng only 65% of oxygen dring sleep. there were 91 intervals of central apnea and 45 intervals to the heart... he informe me he has never seen a report so bad and i need to be given respiratory assistance immediately. Sleep report: AHI: 75.3; ODI: 67.5; SnoreIndex: 45.2%Not sure if i should go with the respiratory support as people say it would become a life long support, needed your suggestion, also if you can provide support in fixing an appoint with another doctor for a 2nd opinion.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You do require respiratory support during sleep. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1. You seem to be suffering from sleep apnoea syndrome. Your AHI of 75.3 is far above the normal , your desaturation during sleep also needs to be noted and intervention on an urgent basis is required. 2. If you have associated symptoms of cold, that needs to be treated first with nasal spray and oral medications. 3. You do require a respiratory support during sleep. A sleep titration study will help you know what pressures are ideal for you and how much is the improvement after respiratory support /CPAP therapy. 4. If left untreated, there are a lot of complications that have a potential to arise from it. 5. Meanwhile, weight reduction, dietary control are measures that can help. Also sleeping in lateral position or on sides is helpful. 6. The find a doctor section of this website will help you locate a Pulmonologist near to your location. WWW.WWWW.WW I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: With reference to the sleep test report should I take respiratory support? 28 minutes later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX I would want to know if the respiratory support would be permanent or it would be for a particular duration, I am currently over weight with a BMI of 35.7 33Yrs, 96.8Kgs, 164cm. Could you also suggest me a good dirtician based on my wight reduction and the current respiratory issue. Thanks XXXX.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Respiratory support is a long term treatment. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following: 1. The respiratory support is something like providing pneumatic splint during sleep to prevent airway collapse. It needs to be taken for a long duration till the etiology is present (i.e. obesity, narrow airway, etc.) and hence in most cases life long but it is the only support to your airways that is very urgently required. 2. Weight reduction is very important and if you can reduce your weight by diet and exercise, then results will be good and probably your cpap requirement will also decrease. 3. Dietitian services are also available on this website: WWW.WWWW.WW 4. One of the options that you can explore is bariatric surgery, if there are no results from diet and exercise. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologis