With reference to the blood sugar reports should I start any medication?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 40 yrs male, my fbs is in the range 100-115 for last 10 years and normally ppbs is less than that range (90-105) . My BP also varies from 130/80 to 145/90. No medication yet (except some homeo medicine for bp). Total cholesterol-150, LDL=102,HDL-33, TRYGLC=33.. Doing moderate exercise, 3 days (30 minutes/day) a week. Please advise way forward, should I start any medication. I prefer exercise and lifestyle adjustments rather than start medication
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. These are very good findings and if you dont have associated heart disease (angina pectoris, ischemic heart disease or cardiomiopathy) I wouldnt recommend any medicines! Even BP is fine and it doesnt require medications at this point. Antilipemics are defintiely not necessary. Blood sugar is optimal too. Even if these findings are 20% worse I still wouldnt prescribe medicines which can have more bad side effects than benefits no matter how intensvely pharmaceutical industry promote their products. So just continue to live healthy,watch your diet and do regular exercise. You have no risk of cardivascular diseases at this point. Also check blood results once in 6 months and thats all. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: With reference to the blood sugar reports should I start any medication? 4 days later
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify 1) My fasting blood sugar is always in the range of 110-115 (for almost last 10 yrs),but ppbs is in the range of 95-120. Should I be worried falling in prediabetic category? Last month HB1c showed 6.1. 2) Also my HDL has never crossed 35, but they say minimum for men shall be 40-45? Is that a concern? rgds
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: You should not be worried about your blood sugar levels. These are not even prediabetic values. HB1c 6.1 is still considered normal so just have regular check ups and thats it. HDL is so called good lipid,but much more important is that other tryglicerides and cholesterols are under control. HDL depends on many factors including genetics and you should not be focused on it since it isnt correlating with risk for cardivascular diseases as much as other cholesterols and other risk factors(smoking,obesity,blood sugar).