With deep breathing get headache due to nerve pain. Underlying cause?

Whenever I do deep breathing (advised for mental alertness) , I get head ache most likely due to nerve pain. It feels as if nerves have been stretched. Earlier when I used to do pranayama which involves deep breathing, I never used to get headaches, but after discontinuing pranyama, whenever i do deep breathing however mild , I get headache.
Please advise.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do continue Pranayama

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Neurologist, working with an experienced Vascular surgeon. I answer on his behalf.

In people who practice Pranayama the blood vessel competency would increase and prevent blood vessel related problems. Stopping such exercises would leave the blood vessels in hyper responsive state where in a small difference in the pressure leads to sudden dilation of contraction leading to headaches.

I suggest you to continue Pranayama to get rid of theses headaches in natural way.

Follow-up: With deep breathing get headache due to nerve pain. Underlying cause? 5 hours later
But I have stopped doing pranayams for years now. Will my blood vessels still be in hyper responsive state. I mean stopping pranayams should not make situation worse than the state before I started doing pranayamas.

In other words, why should deep breathing cause me headaches even though I have stopped doing pranayamas for years?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vascular cause

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Headache you are getting are most probably due to vascular causes. It is evident by the fact that you are getting headache after deep breathing. Hence, for such problems Aerobics or Pranayama are the best options of cure.