Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth extracted and still experiencing pain. Is it normal?

Dentist
Question
I had my wisdom teth extracted all 4and I am still experiencing pain I one of them my lower bottom one. Is that normal?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is normal if you have recently done extraction

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX

I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth extraction is often associated with post operative complications like pain, swelling, nausea, dizziness, abdominal upset.
You dont worry about the symptoms as they will subside after sometimes.

I would suggest you to follow the post extraction instructions given to, take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses.
Take the complete course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Take complete rest avoid anxiety.
Avoid consumption of hot and spicy foodstuffs, acidic beverages, smoking.
A complete wound healing takes place in about three months, whereas pain and swelling subsides upto a period of a week.
If the pain persists for more than a week i would suggest you to consult the concerned Oral Surgeon and get the checkup done and x-ray done.

Hope you find this as helpful, if you have any further queries i will be glad to answer!

Take care!
Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Wisdom teeth extracted and still experiencing pain. Is it normal? 3 hours later
But it has been almost two weeks and I am in still in pain

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
get an x-ray of the region

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

If it is two weeks and you are still having pain, then you require to get an x-ray of the region. This could be due to infection or presence of any broken root piece in the socket.
If there is presence of any root particle it can be removed and the socket can be curetted and irrigated.
I would suggest you to consult to the concerned Oral Surgeon and get the checkup and x-ray done.
At home take antiseptic and lukewarm saline rinses.
Take antibiotics and analgesics to relive pain.

Hope you find this as helpful,

Dr Qazi Ammara.