Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth cutting cheek. Advised to remove wisdom teeth? Is it safe?

My wisdom teeth of left upper jaw sometimes cut my cheek. Doctors say that I should get it removed. Is there any risk in getting it removed? What will happen if I don't get it removed.

Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 46 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth is the last tooth to erupt in the oral cavity, its often tilted, malaligned and impacted in the jaw bone.
This area is difficult to clean and invites bacterial growth leading to redness, inflammation and swelling of the underlying gums known as PERICORONITIS. This leads to symptoms like pain, swelling, and difficulty in mouth opening, fever, and malaise.

Wisdom tooth can be sometimes crooked with sharp cusps causing irritation and ulceration in the cheek mucosa.
I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth has no significant role in mastication and occlusion, so it is better to extract it if it is causing any problem.

I suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and clinical evaluation done, take an OPG radiograph, No doubt, it is time consuming and complicated surgical procedure and even has postoperative complications, but there is absolutely no harm in extraction of wisdom tooth by a qualified doctor.

Meanwhile you can do symptomatic treatment at home by maintaining good oral hygiene, using lukewarm saline gargles, antiseptic mouthwash rinses twice daily.

Apply Dologel oral ointment or mucopain topically over the cut on your cheek.
Take a course of antibiotics and analgesics before extraction of tooth.

Hope this helps.

Glad to answer any other queries,

Dr Qazi Ammara.