Will use of a lot of steroids make leg bones weaker? Am old skier with no history of bone weakness

I am an older aggressive skier (72) with no history of bone weakness. As I have gotten older I have had to take a lot of steriods for various brochitis and other illnesses. Will the use of these steriods make me more likely to have weaker bones especially in the leg.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding your question, chronic use of steroids can lead to weakening of the bones but this is mainly in patients who take steroids on a daily basis or for weeks at a time. If you were treated in the past with pulse doses of steroids for short term illnesses then I dont think you need to worry much at all.

Along the same lines you could request a bone density test by your doctor. This will give you a good idea of what your density is. In your case i would be surprised if you had osteopenia or osteoporosis given your active lifestyle and exercise regimen.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if I be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga