Will travelling by flight be safe during pregnancy?

Dear Dr.,
My wife's last mensus was on March 14. On 15.04.11 preganancy test was positive.We have already planned to go to Dargling during 25th to 30 th of this month by distance is from bangalore to dargling. one week stay.
Is it safe to carry this travel.
Please advise.
With Regards,
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

The best time to travel during pregnancy is the second trimester but if the lady has no complications as such then she can travel. Usually long distance flights are to be avoided and travel distance from Bangalore to Darjeeling would not take more than two hours so it is fine.

When you fly:
1. Keep drinking sips of water during the journey to avoid dehydration as cabin has low humidity.
2. Keep some candies or sweets to prevent low blood sugar and nausea.
3. Wear loose comfortable clothes.
4. Have some support stockings to reduce blood clot formation.
5. Ask her to move her legs in intervals so that circulation is maintained and also to stretch her arms.
6. Request for the aisle seat so that she can frequent loo and also stand at intervals.
7. If she has any history of Diabetes,Blood Pressure,Blood Clot formation etc then get her examined with your Healthcare Provider so that she can be guided accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.